|
|
|
Appeals court ponders fate of book on Cuba
Lawyer Blog News |
2007/06/07 15:44
|
A federal appeals judge asked an attorney Wednesday whether a disputed children's book about Cuban life that omits mention of Fidel Castro's Communist government is the same as one about Adolf Hitler that doesn't mention the Holocaust. The discussion came as the Miami-Dade County School District asked the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for permission to remove 49 copies of Vamos a Cuba (A Visit to Cuba) from its libraries. The board argues that the English and Spanish book for 5- to 8-year-olds is inaccurate about life in Cuba. Senior Circuit Judge Donald Walter presented the hypothetical situation about Hitler to American Civil Liberties Union attorney JoNel Newman, asking her if a school board would be allowed to remove that book from library shelves. Newman answered by saying that the book about Cuba was a geography book about daily life on the island, not about Castro. "The political reality in Cuba is not what the book is about, " Newman said. "The School Board can't remove it because it wishes to inject a political message into it." Board members voted last year to remove the book after a parent who spent time as a political prisoner in Cuba complained. Cuban-Americans, most of them anti-Castro, have significant political sway as the largest ethnic group in Miami. In seeking to remove the book, the board overruled the decision of two academic advisory committees, as well as the county school superintendent. But another parent and the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida challenged the removal. A federal judge ruled last summer that the board's opposition to the book was political and that it should add books of different perspectives to its collections instead of removing the offending titles. The ACLU contends that diverse opinions should be represented in school libraries. Circuit Judge Ed Carnes presented his own hypothetical, asking Newman if a book about North Korea could be pulled from shelves because it failed to mention problems in that Communist government. Newman countered by saying such political discussions shouldn't be required for books for elementary students, arguing whether a book about the Great Wall of China must mention Chinese Communist leader Mao Tse-tung. On another issue, the third member of the appeals panel, Circuit Judge Charles Wilson, asked if a book had to be part of the curriculum or required reading in order to be removed from school libraries, where it was available for checkout on a voluntary basis. "If a book is educationally unsuitable, it can be removed, " said Richard Ovelmen, the School Board's attorney. Also at issue is whether the ACLU has standing to file its legal challenge. The court hasn't indicated when it would rule. |
|
|
|
|
|
Atlantic Yards suit dismissed by federal judge
Legal Career News |
2007/06/07 14:46
|
A federal judge today dismissed a lawsuit against the $4 billion Atlantic Yards development in Brooklyn. The ruling, eagerly awaited for two months, is a major blow to opponents of the project, who plan to appeal. The lawsuit challenges the eminent domain condemnations that Atlantic Yards needs to proceed. Thirteen residents and businesses in the project’s footprint have refused to sell their apartments, buildings or long-term leases to Forest City Ratner Cos., which wants to build a 19,000-seat arena, a huge office and retail complex, and more than 6,000 apartments. "Today's decision is an important victory not only for Atlantic Yards but for Brooklyn as well. This decision means we are one step closer to creating over 2,200 units of affordable housing, thousands of construction and office jobs and bringing the Nets to Brooklyn," said Bruce Ratner, president and CEO of Forest City Ratner Companies. Their suit’s chances, say project opponents, are best if the case remains in federal court. That is why they say they will appeal the ruling issued today by Judge Nicholas Garaufis to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit. “Part of the reason we have a better chance to win [there] is because the federal courts are much more familiar with constitutional issues and are less susceptible to political pressures,” said the plaintiffs’ attorney, Matthew Brinckerhoff days before the ruling. A federal magistrate judge had recommended in February that the case belonged in state court. Judge Garaufis disagreed, but dismissed the case on its merits. Another suit by opponents, challenging the process by which the state reviewed and approved the development, remains pending. But the eminent domain lawsuit was considered the greater threat to the project. The crux of Mr. Brinckerhoff’s argument was that the condemnations do not have a primarily public purpose, as required by New York’s eminent domain law. |
|
|
|
|
|
Virginia Tech Panel Taps Law Firm For Advice
Lawyer Blog News |
2007/06/07 12:57
|
The panel created by Governor Tim Kaine to study the Virginia Tech shootings has hired an outside law firm for advice. The international law firm Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom will work with the panel on a pro bono basis. The states' attorney general's office has been advising the panel, state police and Virginia Tech. According to the panel's chairman Gerald Massengill, because of the independent nature of the panel, outside counsel was necessary to provide legal advice. Governor Kaine created the panel in order to study the circumstances and responses surrounding the April 16 tragedy. |
|
|
|
|
|
Michael Scott Murder Conviction Overturned
Court Feed News |
2007/06/07 11:48
|
Austin's most notorious killings, the Yogurt Shop murders, remain essentially unsolved. The Court of Criminal Appeals Wednesday morning overturned the conviction of Michael Scott, the only man still convicted for the 1991 Yogurt Shop murders. Amy Ayers, sisters Jennifer and Sarah Harbison and Eliza Thomas were all murdered in a North Austin yogurt shop 15 1/2 years ago on Dec. 6. The shop was then set on fire. From the beginning, Scott, his family and attorneys have all insisted he is innocent. They say he had nothing to do with the murders. The court of appeals threw out his conviction, saying his right to a fair trial was violated. In 2002, prosecutors used a videotaped statement from Scott's former friend, Robert Springsteen, to help convict him of murder. At the time Scott did not have an opportunity to challenge it in court.It was a decision the Court of Criminal Appeals now says violated Scott's constitutional rights to a fair trial. "Because the statement was introduced without Springsteen being there, Scott never had a chance to cross examine the statement,” appellate defense attorney Ariel Payan said. “It was just introduced and there was nothing that could be done about it." Scott's wife Jeannine has spent five years trying to set him free. "I'm thrilled that they really did look at this and decide there's something wrong with this case," Jeannine said. She says it's time police investigators focus their attention on someone else. "I would like them to find the actual perpetrators and stop wasting the county's and the city's money in this particular endeavor," she said. State prosecutors admit this latest decision is a setback. They say they don't agree with the Appeals Court ruling. "If in fact it stays as it is now, Michael Scott would be tried again, " assistant district attorney Bryan Case said. But until the decision is declared final, Case says they will continue weighing all of their legal options. They could appeal the reversal to the U.S. Supreme Court, or take the case back to trial all over again. Scott also insists his confession to police was coerced. He say he only agreed to it after several days of almost non-stop interrogation.
|
|
|
|
|
|
Cravath Represents IBM in its Acquistition of Watchfire
Law Firm News |
2007/06/06 19:01
|
Cravath represented IBM in its acquisition of Watchfire Corporation, a privately held security and compliance testing software company based in Waltham, Massachusetts. The lawyers involved in this matter are partner George F. Schoen and associates Margarita Melikjanian and Kai H. Liekefett on corporate matters; partner Andrew W. Needham and associate J. Leonard Teti on tax matters; and partner Eric W. Hilfers and associate Kerry Halpern-Skoglund on executive compensation and benefits matters. The deal was announced on June 6, 2007.
www.cravath.com |
|
|
|
|
|
Final Suspected Terrorist Apprehended in Trinidad
Legal World News |
2007/06/06 17:15
|
PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad, June 6, 2007 - Shouting "I am an innocent man, this is all a setup," Abdel Nur was taken to court here and formally charged with one count of conspiracy to commit a terrorist act against the United States government. He was remanded and will reappear in court on June 11. He was unrepresented by an attorney and told Senior Magistrate Lianne Lee Kim in the Port-of-Spain Fourth Magistrates' Court that he was poor and could not afford an attorney. Attorney Dana Seetahal SC, appearing for the Crown said that because Nur was not a Trinidadian he was not entitled to public-funded defence but it was up to the discretion of the Magistrate, pointing out there was such a precedence. Nur, who was born as Campton Eversley, is the last of the four suspects arrested for conspiring to blow up a pipeline that feeds jet fuel to the JFK International Airport. US District Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, Rosalyn R. Mauskopf has alleged that if the plan worked it would have caused untold damage. Other reports suggest that the pipeline was designed to shutdown when it detected heat and while some damage would occur it would not be on the same scale as what was feared by the authorities. Two of the accused were arrested in Trinidad Saturday and another in New York Friday. When his picture appeared in local newspapers neighbours in Diego Martin, in western Trinidad where he was staying approached him and urged him to turn himself in which he did just before noon Tuesday. US court documents allege that Nur went to Trinidad to seek help from the radical Islamic Jamaat al Muslimeen to plan the attack in detail however leader of the sect, Yasin Abu Bakr, has strenuously denied involvement and distanced himself from the alleged plotters. Abdul Kadir, a citizen of Guyana and former opposition member of parliament as a member of the Opposition People's National Congress Reform (PNCR), and Kareem Ibrahim, a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago, were formally charged Monday here when they appeared in court. They will return to court June 11 for a bail hearing while extradition proceedings have been set for August 2. Their attorneys say they will fight extradition all the way to the British Privy Council. The men have proclaimed their innocence and like Nur say that they are being set up. In a statement released by their families, they claim that they were the victims of a campaign by the US Republican Party of President George W. Bush aimed at bolstering its standing in the 2008 presidential election by sowing fear about terrorism. "Unfortunately, innocent persons with no connection whatsoever to the political and military disputes between the United States and the Middle East ... have been used as pawns in an international game of subterfuge." The alleged plot has been in the making since 2006, the US District Attorney has asserted presenting selections of recorded conversations in which the men alleged plotted to blow up the airport and a section of Queens. American investigators from the FBI are expected in Trinidad and Tobago to question the suspects in the hope of uncovering whether there are other conspirators. Up to the time of the arrests, nearly a year and a half after the alleged plot started, the quartet was still at an "aspirational" rather than operational stage. They did not have the means (money, explosives, bomb making skill and expertise, or a detailed plan) to put the plot into action
|
|
|
|
|
Recent Lawyer News Updates |
|
|